Pages

Tuesday, July 6, 2021

Why I Live My Life As If It Were My Last Day

 

Because it very well could be? 

But seriously. I am 67 years old with my natural erosion at a tipping point. Arthritis, high blood pressure, spidey veins, shortness of breath, high cholesterol, numbness, palpitations, a weak heart, the looming threat of an aneurysm, a sister who died at 65 and a father who died at 66. There are also thousands, less natural, ways to die. At 67 years old, you realize you have been lucky, dodged numerous bullets, that an individual life is but a fragment of time. My belief, for the most part, is to make the best of every opportunity and not worry. Matt: 6:27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to life? 

Maranasati (death awareness), is a Buddhist meditation practice of reminding oneself that death can occur at any moment. In an age when we're taught to always look at the positive, this misunderstood meditation may be viewed as negative, but negative and positive are two halves of the same whole. It may seem ghastly to meditate upon death, but it it a practical and beneficial meditation that serves to create more awareness of self and circumstances. 

For instance, if I meditate on being hit by a vehicle on a road in Vancouver and perhaps losing a leg as a result, then the next time I bike to work, I'll be more mindful and won't think of cutting across traffic, or feel the need to answer my phone. That meditative image of a leg lost through carelessness will be held as subconscious reference in my mind as I ride. If I meditate about getting my limbs torn off in a rollover while driving on I-95, well, I'll think twice before speeding to work or answering my iphone while it rings on the seat beside me. Talk to anyone who has had these events happen to them and see if they don't regret not being more aware while driving. The images produced in your mind for any circumstance serve as not only a warning, but also an instruction to heed. You ignore these warnings at your own peril. 

The Stoics also wrote volumes on death because death is a 'recurring theme across all human life.'  Death was seen simply as a 'return to nature.'  By thinking about death on a regular basis, the fear and ambiguity of death and the unknown was removed. Death is a part of life. 

I have been thinking regularly about my own death and where I want to die. Not how and not now, although going to sleep and never waking up seems to be the most popular wish of many. The other day I laughed out loud when I heard myself say 'I want to be settled by the time I'm 80.' It seems ridiculous, but do the math. 

At the age of 67, I believe I still have a good 10 years left to wander around the wilderness. So here's the plan:  Move to a warm country, to a medium-sized city with loads of history and culture. Seek out other like-minded individuals who like to walk, visit museums, play music, bathe in hot springs, converse at cafes in the afternoon and at little barritas at night. Get to know the locals and speak their language, seek out a family for support and finally, have a drink every night with a Cheers! to my continued good health. And after experiencing all these wonderful things, or perhaps during, it will be my time to die.

 

 


No comments: